Sunday 20 September 2015

Working in a town turned into a cemetery

Syrians stand amid debris following an air strike by government forces in the northern city of Aleppo on July 15, 2014

 'The people of Aleppo love winter because it brings the clouds. It makes it harder for Assad's planes to fly and to drop bombs on us.
 The noise of planes haunts us. They come at the same time almost every day -- either in the morning or in the evening.
 During the day, we have a few seconds to predict where the barrel bomb will fall. But during the night its a whole different story, it's much more dangerous. It's dark and there's no way to know where the bomb will hit.
 The regime also uses "elephant rockets", or bombs with rockets attached to them. When they're launched they make a mournful trumpet sound -- giving them their name -- and it's extremely difficult to predict where they will land.
 Now I'm in France to receive the FIPCOM prize, but I'm constantly thinking about my wife, my family and my friends who stayed in Aleppo and risk their lives every day. The war is always on my mind.'

No comments:

Post a Comment