Wednesday 21 November 2012

The image of Dana Bakdounis posted on Facebook

Unveiled Syrian Facebook post

stirs women's rights debate


"I want to take another picture, but from inside Syria, just to show that I could be a fighter against injustice and power. With my camera, I can help the people and support the Free Syrian Army."
Increasingly, reports from inside Syria highlight the presence of fundamentalist Islamist factions within the anti-regime movement, hijacking the struggle.
With the influx of these non-Syrian jihadi fighters, there are growing fears for the future of women's rights in the nation and the region.
Dana and those like her want to see a new Syria.
"[A Syria] full of rights, with justice between men and women. I want justice because I already have my freedom, and I'm not afraid of anything now, now I can do whatever I believe it is right to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment